Apr 06 , 2021
Top 5 Ways to Stay Healthy (During Ramadan)
5 Ways to Stay Healthy
Trying to maintain a healthy weight or keep off the weight during the fasting month? Check out these top 5 tips!
Credit Image: Photo by Rachael Gorjestani on Unsplash
Fasting has been associated with many health benefits, including weight loss and lowered stress as well as inflammation. Maintain your health during this time with these top 5 tips and ways:
- avoid caffeinated beverages and sugary drinks
- Start meals with broths, soups or stews. Fruits and vegetables such as watermelon, squash or spinach are mostly water and can also help to replace fluids
Choose healthier options
- Highly processed foods are high in salt, sugar and unhealthy fats, which won’t last long and can increase thirst
- Try a handful of roasted nuts instead of ready-to-eat foods such as crackers or biscuits.
- Choose whole grains instead of white bread, enriched pasta and sugary cereals. The energy of these simple carbohydrates is broken down and used too quickly.
Eat whole foods.
- Fill your diet with fruits, veggies, and whole grains. Skip the processed food. One of the absolute best ways to stay healthy is to ensure you're flooding your body with nutritious food.
- Whole foods are packed with immune-supporting, cancer-fighting, gut-loving vitamins and minerals that will do wonders for your health
Eat, rest and exercise strategically
- Try not to overeat, keep to normal portions
- Eat balanced meals
- Focus on foods that are digested slowly and release energy over time. These include food that are high in fiber (e.g. whole grains, fruits and vegetables) and foods containing complex carbohydrates (wheat, beans, lentils, rice, etc.).
- Stay active – go for a walk or do some stretching
- Eating healthier starts with buying healthier ingredients.
- Plan menus in advance and make a shopping list
- Stick to the list and avoid impulse purchases
Hope these tips help you stay healthy during the holy month!
If you wonder more about the right way to kickstart a healthier lifestyle, you can read more here.