Jan 04 , 2021
Wheat Leaf Mantou
Mantou - or steamed buns are great to have anytime of the day, especially breakfast. In this recipe, we've perked it up with the goodness of 🍃 wheat leaf powder. Serve them warm and split them in half to fill with your favourite choice of meat, floss, egg. Dip them or even have them plain!
ACTIVE DRY YEAST:
2.5g Active dry yeast
1 tsp Sugar
50g Lukewarm water
250g Plain flour
1 tbsp Wheat leaf powder
8g Grapeseed oil
75g Cold water
- Stir active dry yeast and sugar in lukewarm water, set aside for 5 - 10 minutes. Once froth forms on top, it is ready to use.
- Add in wheat leaf powder, grapeseed oil and cold water to activated yeast, mix well.
- In a mixing bowl with plain flour and sugar, add in yeast mixture, mix into dough.
- Knead dough until smooth surface about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 equal portions. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Knead dough a few times to deflate any air bubbles. Pull and tuck dough with smooth surface on top and seams are at the bottom.
- Roll dough into a SMOOTH round ball in between palms.
- Cup dough with both palms and move in a circular motion to shape it taller. Place on a piece of parchment paper. Repeat STEP 6 – 8 with the remainder.
- Cover shaped buns and proof until they puff up 50% to double in size. This may take about 30 minutes.
- Bring water in steamer to a boil, place proofed buns in steamer with 1-inch space in between. Steam on medium heat for 12 minutes.
- Turn off heat. DO NOT OPEN LID IMMEDIATELY! Let buns sit in steamer for 5 minutes. Serve hot!