Jan 04 , 2021
Mantou - or steamed buns are great to have anytime of the day, especially breakfast. In this recipe, we've perked it up with the goodness of 🍃 wheat leaf powder. Serve them warm and split them in half to fill with your favourite choice of meat, floss, egg. Dip them or even have them plain!
- Stir active dry yeast and sugar in lukewarm water, set aside for 5 - 10 minutes. Once froth forms on top, it is ready to use.
- Add in wheat leaf powder, grapeseed oil and cold water to activated yeast, mix well.
- In a mixing bowl with plain flour and sugar, add in yeast mixture, mix into dough.
- Knead dough until smooth surface about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 equal portions. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Knead dough a few times to deflate any air bubbles. Pull and tuck dough with smooth surface on top and seams are at the bottom.
- Roll dough into a SMOOTH round ball in between palms.
- Cup dough with both palms and move in a circular motion to shape it taller. Place on a piece of parchment paper. Repeat STEP 6 – 8 with the remainder.
- Cover shaped buns and proof until they puff up 50% to double in size. This may take about 30 minutes.
- Bring water in steamer to a boil, place proofed buns in steamer with 1-inch space in between. Steam on medium heat for 12 minutes.
- Turn off heat. DO NOT OPEN LID IMMEDIATELY! Let buns sit in steamer for 5 minutes. Serve hot!