Sep 23 , 2020
Five kernel (五仁, wǔ rén): A filling consisting of 5 types of nuts and seeds, coarsely chopped and held together with syrup. A traditional style mooncake that is nutty in flavour and a delight to the tastebuds!
Five Kernel Mooncake
2-3 slices organic lemon
Put all ingredients in a pot.
Bring to boil.
Turn to low heat and cook for 1 1/2 hours until golden brown.
*Keep the golden syrup for at least 3 months before utilising.
Mooncake pastry (low sugar):
120g golden syrup
1 tsp alkaline water
Mooncake Pastry: Mix all ingredients till well combined. Set aside for 30 minutes – 1 hour
100g melon seed (toasted)
100g Radiant Organic Brown Sesame (toasted)
100g Organic Flaxseed (toasted & crushed)
100g candied winter melon (chopped)
3nos. Candied lime (soaked, drained, chopped)
2 Tbsp Rose liquor (optional – for fragrance)
3 Tbsp rose sugar
1/4 tsp Brittany Sea Salt Fine
120g cooked glutinous rice flour / Koh Fun
6 Tbsp water
- Fillings: Mix ingredients until well combined. Divide into 100g -110g each. Press tight with hand and make it firm. Roll into balls.
- Divide skin dough (mooncake pastry) into 55g-60g each (depends on the size of your mould), shape into a ball, flatten it and wrap in a portion of filling.
- Put mooncake into a floured mould, press well and then knock 4 sides of the mould and gently remove the mooncake from the mould. Arrange them onto a baking tray and spray with water before putting into the oven.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180c for 15 minutes. Remove and leave aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Brush the top with beaten egg yolk. Bake again for 10 minutes until golden brown.
Note: For a better result, leave mooncakes aside for 2-3 days for the pastry skin to “breath” and will become softer.